If you are going dairy AND casein free, this pastitsio recipe is one-way road!! 🙂 You will use chicken mince (or lamb) instead of beef, and the easiest – ever – vegan bechamel sauce you gonna love!! ❤
For the chicken mince sauce:
- 500 g chicken mince,
- a medium-sized onion diced,
- a big tomato diced,
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil,
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper,
- half a Ceylon cinnamon stick,
- 1/2 cup red dry wine,
- 1 tsp tarragon,
- 3-4 tbsp freshly chopped parsley,
- a pinch ground cayenne pepper.
For the pasta:
- one package of bucatini,
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil,
For the vegan bechamel sauce:
- 1 l almond milk,
- 100 g all-purpose flour,
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg,
- freshly ground white pepper,
- a few drops of extra virgin olive oil.
- olive oil to grease the pan,
- 3-4 tbsp nutritional yeast.
- In a large deep skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and cook until it begins to soften.
- Add the chicken mince, salt and pepper.
- Cook, breaking chicken mince into pieces until it is no longer pink.
- Add the red dry wine, and cook until liquid is almost evaporated.
- Stir in the diced tomato and the cinnamon stick, cover, and let simmer over low heat for about 20 minutes. Add some water if necessary.
- Remove from heat, remove also the cinnamon stick and set aside, covered.
- Meanwhile, cook bucatini in salted water al dente, 2 minutes less than package’s instructions. Drain well, add the olive oil and stir.
- To make the vegan bechamel sauce: In a food processor put the half almond milk along with the flour and blend until combined. In a saucepan put the other half milk over medium heat along with the olive oil, salt, pepper and nutmeg. When it comes to a boil add slowly the milk and flour mixture stirring constantly. In a few minutes, it starts to thicken and it’s up to your taste how thicken you like it to be.
To assemble: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a glass or other ovenproof baking dish and add the half pasta. Pour the meat sauce over and add the other half pasta. Spread bechamel over the last layer of pasta, sprinkle with nutritional yeast and bake until top is set and golden brown, about 40 minutes. Let sit at least 15 minutes before serving. Serve warm.