- A whole duck about 2.5-3 kg,
- a few sprigs of fresh rosemary (or a tablespoon of dry one),
- a few sprigs of fresh thyme (or a tablespoon dry one),
- 1-1 ½ orange (or blood orange even better),
- 8 cloves of garlic,
- 2 medium-sized onions peeled and cut into quarters,
- 2 stalks celery cut in large pieces,
- 3 carrots cut in pieces,
- 1 bay leaf,
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper,
- 2 tbsp plain flour,
- one tbsp honey and 1/2 cup of orange juice,
- potatoes and carrots for the side dish.
- The night before: Grate the peel from the orange. With a sharp knife chop rosemary and thyme and mix with orange zest, 1 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper. Rub the duck well inside and out with the mixture, cover it with a clean towel and put it in the refrigerator for at least 5-6 hours. Do not cover it with an airtight plastic wrap- it needs to breathe to get dry. Chop the neck, liver, stomach and so on (if you have them) and store them in the refrigerator.
- On cooking day: Place in a deep pan the onions, carrots and celery together with the chopped livers and so on. When ready to cook, stuff the duck with the oranges cut in halves, some more rosemary and thyme, salt and pepper and 3 pressed garlic cloves.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Tie legs with natural twine. Do not tie the wings, just fold them under the duck. Place the duck breast-side up, straight onto the bars of the middle shelf of the oven. Place under the rack the pan with the vegetables etc to catch the fat that will drip.
- Meanwhile, steam, or boil in chicken stock, potatoes and carrots for 10 minutes and place them in a second baking pan. Sprinkle over the rest garlic cloves, rosemary and thyme leaves and season with salt and pepper.
- After one hour remove from the oven the baking tray with the vegetables and replace it immediately with an empty one. Remove some duck fat in a separate bowl. Add into the pan with the vegetables a little scalding water to loosen the caramelized pieces. Strain the vegetables, and pour the liquid contents into a saucepan. Add some flour and simmer for half an hour or more if necessary. Taste for seasoning and your sauce is ready. (If you want to make it more special … you can remove fat, in the beginning, add a spoonful of flour and add 150 ml of Porto red wine.)
- Add the duck fat in the pan with the potatoes and carrots, and place it in the oven (remove the empty one), underneath the duck, to cook for an hour more, depending on size. The duck fat will keep dripping all the second hour. Just stir the potatoes and carrots 2-3 times.
- When the duck is cooked, turn of the heat off, place the duck in a cooking pot with a lid and coat with honey and some orange juice. Put the lid on and place it in the hot oven for 10-15 minutes to rest. This will make the duck more tender and juicy!
- Garnish the duck with fresh orange and rosemary sprigs.
- Serve with hot sauce and the roasted carrots and potatoes.
EnJoy!!!! 🙂 xx