This is supposed to be a traditional Rhodes island recipe of Saint Fanourios Cake!! I love its fresh lemon flavor!! Dairy, egg and nut free, vegan and rich in calcium also!! 🙂
- 3 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour,
- 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil, and some more for greasing the pan,
- 1 cup of sugar, (or less),
- 1 1/2 cups of orange juice,
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder,
- 1/2 tsp of organic lemon zest,
- 1 cup of sesame seeds,
- Grounded cinnamon.
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees (180C).
- In a mixing bowl blend the sugar along with the olive oil.
- Add the lemon zest and the grounded cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl mix the flour with the baking powder.
- Add the flour mixture into the first bowl along with the orange juice, until you get a fluffy batter.
- Grease a round baking pan with some olive oil and spread over the half sesame seeds.
- Pour the batter into the pan and spread over with the rest sesame.
- Bake for about 50 minutes and let cool on a rack.