Little Roxes…. or as I like to call them “little cow eyes”… 🙂
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1 cup olive oil
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1/2 cup walnuts chopped
- orange or lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 teaspoon ground clove
- 31/2 cups water
- 4 cups sugar
- cinnamon stick
- Dissolve yeast in warm water and add the olive oil and zest.
- Divide the liquid into equal parts into two separate bowls.
- Mix flour with ground cinnamon and clove, and divide mixture into the two bowls.
- Knead white dough in one bowl. At the other add cocoa powder and ground walnuts and knead until you have a good brown dough.
- Cover both bowls with a towel and let white and brown dough in a warm place for one hour.
- Stretch white dough in two oblong leaves and put the brown dough on them like a long thick cord. Wrap and roll both.
- Cut the rolls with a knife about a finger in thickness, place pieces into lined with baking paper pan covered with a towel. Let another half hour to rise.
- Bake at 400 degrees (200 C) for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile make the syrup: boil into a saucepan all the ingredients for 5 minutes and let cool for a while.
- Remove cookies from the oven as they are hot and pour on them the warm syrup. Leave there for about half an hour, turning them over now and then in order to get more syrup from all sides.
- When softened remove from pan.